Saturday 20 April 2013

Lovin' Those Summer Fruits

Last weekend we went for a cycle ride as a family and stopped off at Starbucks for a coffee on the way home. As they didn't have any fruit for my two year old son  I ended up buying a berry yogurt muesli  which he really enjoyed. I tried some for myself and it was delicious. It set me thinking about recreating it at home. I have made bircher muesli a few times for breakfast. The main ingredients are oats, yogurt  and honey (I like to use Greek yogurt). To the basic mix you can then add other ingredients of your choice, nuts (I liked flaked almonds), seeds, dried fruit, grated apple, and a little orange juice, apple juice or milk to loosen the mix. I find it is best made the night before and then left overnight so the fruits plump up and the oats have absorbed the yogurt. For the berry bircher variety to the Greek yogurt and oats I then added a berry compote. I made this by simmering 100g frozen summer fruits with a tablespoon of castor sugar. When cool I added this to the mix along with flaked almonds, sultanas, milk and a little honey. In the morning I topped it with fresh blueberries and strawberries. It was very good. My son obviously thought so too as he ate his portion very quickly and then shouted 'more mummy'!

Berry Bircher Muesli
Serves 2 

100g frozen summer fruits
1 tbsp castor sugar
25g porridge oats
150g greek yogurt
3 tbsp milk
1 tbsp sultanas
2 tsp flaked almonds
1/2 tbsp honey (optional, depending on how sweet you want it to be)

Put the summer fruits and sugar into a small saucepan and stir over a gentle heat until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes
Remove from the heat and leave to cool
Put the oats into a bowl and stir in the greek yogurt
Add the milk, honey and berry compote
Mix in the nuts and raisins
Put the mixture into two ramekin dishes or small glasses
Cover and place in the fridge overnight
Serve with fresh fruit.





No comments:

Post a Comment